Franklin Graham Backs N.C.'s Amendment One
BY Trudy Ring
May 01 2012 2:20 PM ET
Evangelist Franklin Graham, unsurprisingly, has come out in support of North Carolina’s anti–marriage equality Amendment One.
Graham released an audio message Friday urging voters to “take a stand on God’s definition of marriage” as a union between a man and a woman, The Christian Post reports. His sister Anne Graham Lotz, also an influential Christian leader, is supporting the measure as well.
They are the children of famed evangelist Billy Graham, and Franklin Graham is president and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, based in Charlotte.
North Carolinians will vote May 8 on Amendment One, which would change the state’s constitution to ban legal recognition of same-sex marriage as well as civil unions or any other type of relationship except heterosexual marriage. The state already bans same-sex marriage by statute, but constitutional bans are harder to overcome.
Some religious leaders have voiced opposition to the measure, among them Jay Bakker, the son of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker. He is pastor of a church in New York City, but he grew up in North Carolina.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 28 min 31 sec ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 2 hours 3 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 2 hours 57 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 3:17 PM
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 3:09 PM
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2:44 PM
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2:41 PM