Bill Clinton Comes Out Against Amendment 1
BY Andrew Harmon
May 05 2012 1:58 PM ET
Former president Bill Clinton has come out against North Carolina’s Amendment One, which would constitutionally bar marriage rights and all other forms of relationship recognition for same-sex couples if voters approve the measure Tuesday.
Clinton released a recorded statement, or “robocall,” for the campaign opposing the amendment – a move that comes two days after daughter Chelsea released a letter also urging voters to reject the measure.
“If it passes, it won't change North Carolina's law on marriage,” President Clinton said in the message. “What it will change is North Carolina's ability to keep good businesses, attract new jobs, and attract and keep talented entrepreneurs. If it passes, your ability to keep those businesses, get those jobs, and get those talented entrepreneurs will be weakened.”
According to the Associated Press, the recorded message will be pushed out beginning Monday, one day prior to the primary elections, though early voting is already underway. Poll numbers continue to show an uphill battle for those fighting the amendment.
The full message, via Coalition to Protect NC Families:
"Hello, this is President Bill Clinton. I'm calling to urge you to vote against Amendment One on Tuesday May 8. If it passes, it won't change North Carolina's law on marriage. What it will change is North Carolina's ability to keep good businesses, attract new jobs, and attract and keep talented entrepreneurs. If it passes, your ability to keep those businesses, get those jobs, and get those talented entrepreneurs will be weakened. And losing even one job to Amendment One is too big of a risk. Its passage will also take away health insurance from children and could even take away domestic violence protections from women. So the real effect of the law is not to keep the traditional definition of marriage, you've already done that. The real effect of the law will be to hurt families and drive away jobs. North Carolina can do better. Again, this is Bill Clinton asking you to please vote against Amendment One. Thanks."
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 2 hours 49 min ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM