Bill Clinton Comes Out Against Amendment 1
BY Andrew Harmon
May 05 2012 2:58 PM ET
Former president Bill Clinton has come out against North Carolina’s Amendment One, which would constitutionally bar marriage rights and all other forms of relationship recognition for same-sex couples if voters approve the measure Tuesday.
Clinton released a recorded statement, or “robocall,” for the campaign opposing the amendment – a move that comes two days after daughter Chelsea released a letter also urging voters to reject the measure.
“If it passes, it won't change North Carolina's law on marriage,” President Clinton said in the message. “What it will change is North Carolina's ability to keep good businesses, attract new jobs, and attract and keep talented entrepreneurs. If it passes, your ability to keep those businesses, get those jobs, and get those talented entrepreneurs will be weakened.”
According to the Associated Press, the recorded message will be pushed out beginning Monday, one day prior to the primary elections, though early voting is already underway. Poll numbers continue to show an uphill battle for those fighting the amendment.
The full message, via Coalition to Protect NC Families:
"Hello, this is President Bill Clinton. I'm calling to urge you to vote against Amendment One on Tuesday May 8. If it passes, it won't change North Carolina's law on marriage. What it will change is North Carolina's ability to keep good businesses, attract new jobs, and attract and keep talented entrepreneurs. If it passes, your ability to keep those businesses, get those jobs, and get those talented entrepreneurs will be weakened. And losing even one job to Amendment One is too big of a risk. Its passage will also take away health insurance from children and could even take away domestic violence protections from women. So the real effect of the law is not to keep the traditional definition of marriage, you've already done that. The real effect of the law will be to hurt families and drive away jobs. North Carolina can do better. Again, this is Bill Clinton asking you to please vote against Amendment One. Thanks."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 18 min 57 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 54 min 1 sec ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 1 hour 30 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 1 hour 40 min ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 2 hours 18 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM