Karger: NOM Hiding Identities of 11 Donors, Responsible for $345K
BY Michelle Garcia
May 22 2012 1:18 PM ET
Gay activist and Republican presidential candidate Fred Karger is launching another challenge against the National Organization for Marriage for potentially failing to report $345,000 in contributions it received from 11 donors for Proposition 8.
Karger's complaint, submitted Monday with the California Fair Political Practices Commission, says NOM did not publicly report the names of the 11 donors, which include probable Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, LGBT Weekly reports.
NOM's leaders have gone toe-to-toe with the political consultant and LGBT activist in the past. In 2009, Karger filed complaints against NOM regarding possible ethics violations in Maine and Iowa after the organization allegedly accepted large sums of money, but failed to disclose the names of donors. Last year Karger released a video about marriage equality in New Hampshire, portraying NOM as a hate group, warning voters that the organization "is going to lie to you. They will say they are here to protect the sanctity of marriage -- they're not." They're here to demonize gay people."
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 6 min 44 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 10 min 33 sec ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 54 min 11 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 2 hours 48 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM