Karger: NOM Hiding Identities of 11 Donors, Responsible for $345K
BY Michelle Garcia
May 22 2012 2:18 PM ET
Gay activist and Republican presidential candidate Fred Karger is launching another challenge against the National Organization for Marriage for potentially failing to report $345,000 in contributions it received from 11 donors for Proposition 8.
Karger's complaint, submitted Monday with the California Fair Political Practices Commission, says NOM did not publicly report the names of the 11 donors, which include probable Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, LGBT Weekly reports.
NOM's leaders have gone toe-to-toe with the political consultant and LGBT activist in the past. In 2009, Karger filed complaints against NOM regarding possible ethics violations in Maine and Iowa after the organization allegedly accepted large sums of money, but failed to disclose the names of donors. Last year Karger released a video about marriage equality in New Hampshire, portraying NOM as a hate group, warning voters that the organization "is going to lie to you. They will say they are here to protect the sanctity of marriage -- they're not." They're here to demonize gay people."
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 4 min 47 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 30 min 12 sec ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 1 hour 4 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM