Slow Going on Australian Marriage Equality Vote
BY Julie Bolcer
June 18 2012 12:20 PM ET
An Australian parliamentary committee released a report on marriage equality legislation Monday, but backers appeared to be in no hurry to vote on two bills under consideration.
The committee released its report after a public inquiry that generated a record 276,000 responses, nearly two thirds of which were in support of marriage equality, according to the Australian Associated Press. Although the cross-party committee declined to recommend or reject the marriage equality bills, the individual members weighed in, with three in support, four against, and one undeclared.
Greens MP Adam Bandt said he had no plans to rush a vote on his bill until more support could be secured. He told the AAP that he believed opposition leader Tony Abbott could be convinced to hold a conscience vote, which would match the policy adopted by the Labor Party last year.
Graham Perrett, the committee chairman, said that he believed lawmakers would reject marriage equality even if Abbott allowed the conscience vote, according to the Associated Press. Perrett, a Labor MP, supports marriage equality and has two gay brothers.
Labor MP Stephen Jones said he expected a vote on his bill later this year.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 2 hours 50 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM