Ballot Wording Oversimplifies Marriage Equality, Proponents Warn
BY Lucas Grindley
June 21 2012 4:46 PM ET
The exact wording of the question proposed to Maine voters come November is pretty straightforward — "Do you want to allow same-sex couples to marry?" — but that's the problem, according to marriage equality proponents.
They say it's critical that voters know no religious institution can be forced to marry same-sex couples.
“The question, as currently drafted, falls short,” said Matt McTighe, campaign manager for Mainers United for Marriage. “It fails to address important parts of the initiative that will be on the ballot in November."
McTighe and others are calling on the secretary of state to revise the question "to more accurately reflect the citizens’ initiative that was signed by more than 105,000 Mainers.” The title of that initiative was "An Act to Allow Marriage Licenses for Same-Sex Couples and Protect Religious Freedom."
Religious exemptions have regularly been included in marriage equality laws, even in New York. Here's the wording of the Maine proposal that voters so far won't see:
"This chapter does not require any member of the clergy to perform or any church, religious denomination or other religious institution to host any marriage in violation of the religious beliefs of that member of the clergy, church, religious denomination or other religious institution. The refusal to perform or host a marriage under this subsection cannot be the basis for a lawsuit or liability and does not affect the tax-exempt status of the church, religious denomination or other religious institution."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 1 hour 52 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM