WATCH: New African-American Equality Ad Gets NAACP Support
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 11 2012 1:47 PM ET
A compelling new video ad profiling African-American supporters of same-sex marriage produced by Marylanders for Marriage Equality was released today and endorsed by Dr. Julian Bond, chairman emeritus of the NAACP who issued a statement reminding residents that they'll soon be casting a vote "on the law, not on their faith. Equality under the law means equality for all, not just some. If we're all going to be equal in America, being able to marry the person we love andraise a family is an opportunity we all should have."
Bond also referred to court documents written by the anti-gay National Organization for Marriage, a primary funder of theMaryland Marriage Alliance, in which the group outlined its strategy to stop marriage equality. "What really pains me is that opponents of same-sex marriage have admitted their strategy is to divide gays and blacks," Bond said. "This harms our culture and such divisive tactics should not be tolerated. We must bring people together around our shared values of family and fairness, which this video illustrates."
Watch the video to find out why thse African Americans are voting to uphold the law in November — and are hoping their neighbors do too.
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- Op-ed: It Doesn't Matter How Many Times Kim Davis Was Wed
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation