Barney Frank Argues on Hardball Over Marriage Equality Stance
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 01 2012 3:40 PM ET
Rep. Barney Frank almost always makes for a fascinating conversation, and his two-step with Chris Matthews over the Democratic Party's stance on marriage equality on MSNBC's Hardball today was no disappointment, according to The Huffington Post. Matthews asked Frank if the DNC platform's approach to same-sex marriage would create a federal law or leave the matter up to the states. Frank was nonplussed, telling him, "I literally don't understand what that means. There is a fundamental confusion here. There has never been a practical law saying that's what marriage is."
The Hardball host mentioned the Civil Rights Act, the federal law that mandated access to public accommodations, but Frank wasn't having any of it.
"It says nothing about marriage, Christopher!" Frank shouted. "You are wrong, you are wrong, Christopher!"
The argument devolved from there. Watch it now.
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: You’ll Cry When You See What Happened During That Gay-Straight Prom Date
- WATCH: The 8 Most Hateful Things Texas Lawmakers Said Monday
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- WATCH: Texas B&B Boots Gay Couple, Gets Banned From Airbnb
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Miss Fame: I've Yet to Leave My 'Beauty Mark'