Barney Frank Argues on Hardball Over Marriage Equality Stance
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 01 2012 2:40 PM ET
Rep. Barney Frank almost always makes for a fascinating conversation, and his two-step with Chris Matthews over the Democratic Party's stance on marriage equality on MSNBC's Hardball today was no disappointment, according to The Huffington Post. Matthews asked Frank if the DNC platform's approach to same-sex marriage would create a federal law or leave the matter up to the states. Frank was nonplussed, telling him, "I literally don't understand what that means. There is a fundamental confusion here. There has never been a practical law saying that's what marriage is."
The Hardball host mentioned the Civil Rights Act, the federal law that mandated access to public accommodations, but Frank wasn't having any of it.
"It says nothing about marriage, Christopher!" Frank shouted. "You are wrong, you are wrong, Christopher!"
The argument devolved from there. Watch it now.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model