Barney Frank Argues on Hardball Over Marriage Equality Stance
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 01 2012 2:40 PM ET
Rep. Barney Frank almost always makes for a fascinating conversation, and his two-step with Chris Matthews over the Democratic Party's stance on marriage equality on MSNBC's Hardball today was no disappointment, according to The Huffington Post. Matthews asked Frank if the DNC platform's approach to same-sex marriage would create a federal law or leave the matter up to the states. Frank was nonplussed, telling him, "I literally don't understand what that means. There is a fundamental confusion here. There has never been a practical law saying that's what marriage is."
The Hardball host mentioned the Civil Rights Act, the federal law that mandated access to public accommodations, but Frank wasn't having any of it.
"It says nothing about marriage, Christopher!" Frank shouted. "You are wrong, you are wrong, Christopher!"
The argument devolved from there. Watch it now.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 1 hour 45 min ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 2 hours 16 min ago
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM