Barney Frank Argues on Hardball Over Marriage Equality Stance
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 01 2012 3:40 PM ET
Rep. Barney Frank almost always makes for a fascinating conversation, and his two-step with Chris Matthews over the Democratic Party's stance on marriage equality on MSNBC's Hardball today was no disappointment, according to The Huffington Post. Matthews asked Frank if the DNC platform's approach to same-sex marriage would create a federal law or leave the matter up to the states. Frank was nonplussed, telling him, "I literally don't understand what that means. There is a fundamental confusion here. There has never been a practical law saying that's what marriage is."
The Hardball host mentioned the Civil Rights Act, the federal law that mandated access to public accommodations, but Frank wasn't having any of it.
"It says nothing about marriage, Christopher!" Frank shouted. "You are wrong, you are wrong, Christopher!"
The argument devolved from there. Watch it now.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 2 hours 50 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 2 hours 54 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth May 21 2013 6:34 PM