Barney Frank Argues on Hardball Over Marriage Equality Stance
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 01 2012 3:40 PM ET
Rep. Barney Frank almost always makes for a fascinating conversation, and his two-step with Chris Matthews over the Democratic Party's stance on marriage equality on MSNBC's Hardball today was no disappointment, according to The Huffington Post. Matthews asked Frank if the DNC platform's approach to same-sex marriage would create a federal law or leave the matter up to the states. Frank was nonplussed, telling him, "I literally don't understand what that means. There is a fundamental confusion here. There has never been a practical law saying that's what marriage is."
The Hardball host mentioned the Civil Rights Act, the federal law that mandated access to public accommodations, but Frank wasn't having any of it.
"It says nothing about marriage, Christopher!" Frank shouted. "You are wrong, you are wrong, Christopher!"
The argument devolved from there. Watch it now.
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service
- Music LISTEN: Lady Gaga's 'Brooklyn Nights' Leaked 40 min 41 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: He's Positive, I'm Not — How Do We Deal? 54 min 37 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: What Is a Serodiscordant Couple? 55 min 36 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 TV Stars Who Are HIV Activists 57 min 26 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Emmy Winner Leslie Jordan: 'I’m Too Young & Fancy to Pay for This Sex!' 1 hour 23 min ago
- Media Murdoch Urges Boycott of Pro-Equality Guinness 1 hour 24 min ago
- Television Exclusive Clip: The Idols Sing on RuPaul's Drag Race Tonight 2 hours 25 min ago