WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Democrats Have Death Wish Over Marriage Equality
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 01 2012 3:04 PM ET
Monday's announcement that the Democratic Party platform is likely to endorse marriage equality had legendary evangelist Pat Robertson agog on The 700 Club yesterday. According to Brian Tashman of Right Wing Watch, Robertson is insistent that the Democrats have a “death wish” to “alienate themselves from the mainstream of America” by endorsing marriage equality.
“About 2% of the population are homosexual, 1% of the population is lesbian," Robertson said on the show. "That’s a tiny group and every time this initiative has been brought to the ballot where the people have a chance to vote they vote overwhelmingly in favor of traditional marriage. For the Democrats to go out on that limb, it just seems like to me that they are further alienating themselves from the mainstream of America. If that’s what they want to do, fine, but it will mean the death knell of their party, it seems like to me, and of course that’s what they’re doing, but maybe they have a death wish."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 17 min 45 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 58 min 6 sec ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM