WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Democrats Have Death Wish Over Marriage Equality
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 01 2012 3:04 PM ET
Monday's announcement that the Democratic Party platform is likely to endorse marriage equality had legendary evangelist Pat Robertson agog on The 700 Club yesterday. According to Brian Tashman of Right Wing Watch, Robertson is insistent that the Democrats have a “death wish” to “alienate themselves from the mainstream of America” by endorsing marriage equality.
“About 2% of the population are homosexual, 1% of the population is lesbian," Robertson said on the show. "That’s a tiny group and every time this initiative has been brought to the ballot where the people have a chance to vote they vote overwhelmingly in favor of traditional marriage. For the Democrats to go out on that limb, it just seems like to me that they are further alienating themselves from the mainstream of America. If that’s what they want to do, fine, but it will mean the death knell of their party, it seems like to me, and of course that’s what they’re doing, but maybe they have a death wish."
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- Texas Antigay Group Raising Money to Fight LGBT 'Army'
- Op-ed: Whither Gay Provincetown?