Fight Back Colorado Launches 'Send 'Em Packin'
BY Julie Bolcer
August 02 2012 10:56 AM ET
The super PAC created to unseat Colorado lawmakers who helped defeat the civil unions bill wants supporters to nominate officials who should be retired at the polls.
Fight Back Colorado launched the online campaign, “Send ‘Em Packin’” with an email blast to supporters Thursday morning. The campaign asks participants to select the mug shots of up to three lawmakers and move them into suitcases.
“It’s about that time of year when Fight Back Colorado starts naming names,” writes treasurer Roger Sherman. “Very soon a legislator will be getting a very clear message from us: it’s time to pack your bags.”
The civil unions bill passed the Democratic-controlled Senate this year, but the Republican-controlled House prevented the legislation from coming for a vote. The “Send ‘Em Packin’” campaign has whittled the field of targets to 16 lawmakers, all Republicans.
Fight Back Colorado launched in June and so far reports $55,000 in support, with almost half from gay philanthropist Tim Gill. The Denver resident also backed the Fight Back New York independent expenditure campaign two years ago. That effort used creative, unconventional tactics online and spent nearly $800,000 to replace state Senate incumbents from both parties who voted against the marriage equality bill in 2009.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder May 24 2013 6:27 PM