Wash. Marriage Campaign Reserves $5 Million for TV
BY Julie Bolcer
August 28 2012 9:58 AM ET
Washington United for Marriage, the campaign working to uphold the marriage equality law passed this year, has reserved $5 million in TV time for ads beginning next month.
Campaign spokesman Zach Silk said the group had reserved the time for "sometime after Labor Day," though he declined to specify when the ads would start or how long they would last, the Associated Press reported.
"We've always believed that we had to have a direct conversation with voters about the issue and this is the beginning of that dialogue," Silk said. "We're excited to begin this next phase of the campaign."
Governor Christine Gregoire signed the marriage equality law in February, but the law was put on hold pending the outcome of the referendum opponents placed on the ballot. A yes vote for Referendum 74 will uphold the new law.
Washington United for Marriage has raised more than $6 million, according to the AP, an amount that includes $2.5 million from Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos and his wife MacKenzie. Their donation is believed to be the largest ever such gift to a marriage equality campaign.
By comparison, opponents of the new law have raised over $471,000, but the Preserve Marriage campaign predicts it will raise around $4 million total. The campaign is also expected to run television ads.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM