Zach Wahls: Mr. Romney, My Family Is As Real As Yours
BY Michelle Garcia
September 06 2012 6:47 PM ET
I'm a sixth-generation Iowan, an Eagle Scout, and I was raised by my two moms, Jackie and Terry.
People want to know what it's like having lesbian parents. I'll let you in on a secret: I'm awesome at putting the seat down. Otherwise, we're like any other family. We eat dinner, we go to church, we have chores. But some people don't see it that way. When I was 12, watching the 2004 Republican convention, I remember politicians talking about protecting marriage from families like mine.
Now, supporting a view of marriage as between a man and woman isn't radical. For many people, it's a matter of faith. We respect that. Watching that convention on TV, though I felt confused, frustrated. Why didn't they think my family was a real family?
Governor Romney says he's against same-sex marriage because every child deserves a mother and a father. I think every child deserves a family as loving and committed as mine. Because the sense of family comes from the commitment we make to each other to work through the hard times so we can enjoy the good ones. It comes from the love that binds us; that's what makes a family. Mr. Romney, my family is just as real as yours.
President Obama understands that. He supports my moms' marriage. President Obama put his political future on the line to do what was right. Without his leadership, we wouldn't be here. President Obama is fighting for our families... all of our families. He has our backs. We have his.
- Television Bette Midler to Play Mae West in HBO Biopic 1 hour 13 min ago
- Marriage Equality ACLU Launches My Big Gay (Il)legal Wedding Contest 1 hour 47 min ago
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 8:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 7:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6:30 AM
- Music WATCH: The Best (or Not So Best) of LGBT Holiday Choirs 5:00 AM