Just Don't Ask Ann Romney About Lesbian Mothers
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 08 2012 2:47 PM ET
During an interview Friday, Ann Romney refused to answer questions about same-sex marriage, insisting she would only speak about the real voting issues of the upcoming election.
While accompanying husband, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on a trip to Iowa, the potential First Lady was interviewed by local news channel KWQC, during which she stated she has a message for female voters: "Trust my husband, he does not fail, he will not fail." However, Romney refused to answer most of the follow-up questions asked by anchor David Nelson.
Since same-sex marriage is legal in the state, Nelson naturally wondered Romney if she believes a lesbian mother should be allowed to marry her partner.
Romney decided to avoid directly answering the question, instead sticking to talking points with which she's comfortable. "You know, I'm not going to talk about the specific issues. I'm going to let my husband speak on issues. I'm here to really just talk about my husband and what kind of husband and father he is and, you know, those are hot-button issues that distract from what the real voting issue is going to be at this election. That, it's going to be about the economy and jobs."
Read the full transcript of the interview here.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'