Just Don't Ask Ann Romney About Lesbian Mothers
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 08 2012 2:47 PM ET
During an interview Friday, Ann Romney refused to answer questions about same-sex marriage, insisting she would only speak about the real voting issues of the upcoming election.
While accompanying husband, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on a trip to Iowa, the potential First Lady was interviewed by local news channel KWQC, during which she stated she has a message for female voters: "Trust my husband, he does not fail, he will not fail." However, Romney refused to answer most of the follow-up questions asked by anchor David Nelson.
Since same-sex marriage is legal in the state, Nelson naturally wondered Romney if she believes a lesbian mother should be allowed to marry her partner.
Romney decided to avoid directly answering the question, instead sticking to talking points with which she's comfortable. "You know, I'm not going to talk about the specific issues. I'm going to let my husband speak on issues. I'm here to really just talk about my husband and what kind of husband and father he is and, you know, those are hot-button issues that distract from what the real voting issue is going to be at this election. That, it's going to be about the economy and jobs."
Read the full transcript of the interview here.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM