Just Don't Ask Ann Romney About Lesbian Mothers
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 08 2012 1:47 PM ET
During an interview Friday, Ann Romney refused to answer questions about same-sex marriage, insisting she would only speak about the real voting issues of the upcoming election.
While accompanying husband, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on a trip to Iowa, the potential First Lady was interviewed by local news channel KWQC, during which she stated she has a message for female voters: "Trust my husband, he does not fail, he will not fail." However, Romney refused to answer most of the follow-up questions asked by anchor David Nelson.
Since same-sex marriage is legal in the state, Nelson naturally wondered Romney if she believes a lesbian mother should be allowed to marry her partner.
Romney decided to avoid directly answering the question, instead sticking to talking points with which she's comfortable. "You know, I'm not going to talk about the specific issues. I'm going to let my husband speak on issues. I'm here to really just talk about my husband and what kind of husband and father he is and, you know, those are hot-button issues that distract from what the real voting issue is going to be at this election. That, it's going to be about the economy and jobs."
Read the full transcript of the interview here.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM