Just Don't Ask Ann Romney About Lesbian Mothers
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 08 2012 2:47 PM ET
During an interview Friday, Ann Romney refused to answer questions about same-sex marriage, insisting she would only speak about the real voting issues of the upcoming election.
While accompanying husband, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on a trip to Iowa, the potential First Lady was interviewed by local news channel KWQC, during which she stated she has a message for female voters: "Trust my husband, he does not fail, he will not fail." However, Romney refused to answer most of the follow-up questions asked by anchor David Nelson.
Since same-sex marriage is legal in the state, Nelson naturally wondered Romney if she believes a lesbian mother should be allowed to marry her partner.
Romney decided to avoid directly answering the question, instead sticking to talking points with which she's comfortable. "You know, I'm not going to talk about the specific issues. I'm going to let my husband speak on issues. I'm here to really just talk about my husband and what kind of husband and father he is and, you know, those are hot-button issues that distract from what the real voting issue is going to be at this election. That, it's going to be about the economy and jobs."
Read the full transcript of the interview here.
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 59 min 31 sec ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM