WATCH: Tammy Baldwin vs. Tommy Thompson on Marriage Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 02 2012 3:18 PM ET
Wisconsin representative Tammy Baldwin squared off against former governor Tommy Thompson this weekend in the first debate of their closely watched Senate contest. If elected, Baldwin, who currently holds a double-digit lead in the polls, would be the first openly gay person elected to the U.S. Senate.
When the moderator asked each candidate for their views on same-sex marriage, civil unions, and the patchwork of laws nationwide regarding relationship recognition, Thompson said, "71 out of 72 counties voted for a constitutional amendment in Wisconsin, and I support those 71 counties. Same-sex marriage is not legal in the state of Wisconsin, and I support that. It's an issue that's left up for the states, and that's where it should be."
Baldwin, looking directly into the camera, told the moderator, "I believe in principles of equality, and I certainly support marriage equality. I recognize what the voters of Wisconsin decided back in 2006, but we know that every year, people are thinking about this issue and changing their minds."
Baldwin went on to highlight President Barack Obama's May interview with ABC, in which he stated his personal support for marriage equality. Baldwin began to draw a comparison to Obama's evolution on the issue, saying that similar conversations were taking place around the country and in Wisconsin, but she ran out of time and the moderator cut her commentary short.
Watch the video, posted by the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, below.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM