Washington Gay Man Arrested for Harassing Equality Opponent
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 18 2012 3:47 PM ET
A gay man in Washington State was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of malicious harassment, a class C felony, after he allegedly tore a sign opposing to Referendum 74, Washington's pending ballot measure on marriage equality, off a woman's vehicle. The man was offended and allegedly told the woman he was gay before he tore the sign off, then shoved another woman who stepped in to help, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
The Post-Intelligencer also cited police officials saying the man used racial slurs when he shoved the woman attempting to intervene, further compounding the potential for a hate-crime charge against the assailant.
According to Washington law, malicious harassment occurs when someone causes injury to another person, makes threats, or damages property because of the victim's perceived race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or mental, physical, or sensory handicap.
Police are still considering the possibility of bias-related charges, and told the Post-Intelligencer that protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation protect people of all orientations, not just those who are LGBT.
"With sexual orientation it doesn't say gay, it says sexual orientation," Sgt. Cindi West told the Post-Intelligencer. "So it goes both ways."
Washington United for Marriage, the coalition fighting to approve Referendum 74 and uphold marriage equality in the northwestern state, issued a statement condemning "any act of this sort, and we have been explicit with our supporters — we respect everyone, no matter where they stand on Referendum 74."
The suspect has not been charged, and is scheduled for a hearing to set his bail this afternoon.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 20 min 24 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 1 hour 24 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 2 hours 24 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM