Writer Sacked After Supporting Marriage Equality in Conservative Mag
BY Neal Broverman
November 14 2012 3:51 PM ET
Writer D.G. Myers was fired after writing an article titled "The Conservative Case for Gay Marriage" in the Republican-leaning Commentary magazine, but his editor says it was not because of the content of the piece.
Myers wrote the article after last week's election and argued that conservative principles support the idea of same-sex marriage. After the piece went up, Myers was informed he was fired via email by his editor, John Podhoretz. Even though Commentary has previously published articles against marriage equality, Podhoretz says it was not the article's content that got Myers terminated. Podhoretz claims that Myers, who operates as a freelance journalist, typically writes a literary blog for Commentary and was not authorized to publish political pieces.
Myers is not certain his former editor is telling the truth.
“Whether I was fired for the substance of what I wrote or for violating the magazine’s procedures is unclear even to me, especially since my followup emails have gone unanswered,” Myers wrote on his personal blog. “Since I do not have the right to quote the message in which Mr. Podhoretz terminated me — he never called — I can only summarize his objections. If I understand him correctly, he considered my defense of gay marriage to be political, and thus inappropriate for a literary blog, and he could not understand why I did not seek prior approval for it.”
Complicating matters is the fact that Podhoretz claims he supports marriage equality and is happy Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, and Washington voters all supported the cause at the ballot box. Read more here.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 10 min 29 sec ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 44 min 16 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 47 min 10 sec ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 57 min 41 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 59 min 4 sec ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 1 hour 5 min ago
- Women WATCH: Taylor Schilling and Lizzy Caplan in Variety Roundtable 1 hour 10 min ago