8 Top Prospects for Expanding Marriage Equality
BY Julie Bolcer
November 20 2012 7:26 PM ET
Hawaii: A win in Hawaii would be hugely symbolic, being the place where a preliminary state Supreme Court decision allowing for the possibility of same-sex marriage in 1993 sparked Congress to respond three years later with the Defense of Marriage Act. Voters later amended the state constitution to ban same-sex marriage, but a federal lawsuit challenging the ban has recently been appealed to the Ninth Circuit. Governor Neil Abercrombie has refused to defend the ban. Hawaii currently has a civil unions law.
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- Obama: Constitution 'Does Guarantee Same-Sex Marriage in All 50 States'
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- Michael Sam, Cowboys Welcome Lull in Media Attention
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet