Top Newspaper Front Pages on Same-Sex Marriage
BY Lucas Grindley
December 08 2012 4:39 PM ET
The top 20 largest newspapers in the country had different ideas on the importance of the Supreme Court's decision to weigh in on marriage equality. As seen in these images from the Newseum's daily gallery of front pages, newspapers based in California, where the Proposition 8 case comes from, were more likely to give it heft. The San Francisco Chronicle stripped the story across the top of its page along with a photo. But some New York papers, where plaintiff Edith Windsor is from, didn't include the story. They weren't alone.
Of all of the publications, editors at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune gave the story the largest presentation. The issue has been in the minds of readers there who became the first in the nation to reject a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage in their state. And the governor has said he would sign a bill approving marriage equality if lawmakers decided to send it to him.
See 1A of all top 20 largest newspapers, according to September's circulation numbers, on the following pages. USA Today is missing because its weekend edition is not included by the Newseum gallery.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 11 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 15 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM