Top Newspaper Front Pages on Same-Sex Marriage
BY Lucas Grindley
December 08 2012 5:39 PM ET
The top 20 largest newspapers in the country had different ideas on the importance of the Supreme Court's decision to weigh in on marriage equality. As seen in these images from the Newseum's daily gallery of front pages, newspapers based in California, where the Proposition 8 case comes from, were more likely to give it heft. The San Francisco Chronicle stripped the story across the top of its page along with a photo. But some New York papers, where plaintiff Edith Windsor is from, didn't include the story. They weren't alone.
Of all of the publications, editors at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune gave the story the largest presentation. The issue has been in the minds of readers there who became the first in the nation to reject a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage in their state. And the governor has said he would sign a bill approving marriage equality if lawmakers decided to send it to him.
See 1A of all top 20 largest newspapers, according to September's circulation numbers, on the following pages. USA Today is missing because its weekend edition is not included by the Newseum gallery.
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 3 min 15 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 17 min 48 sec ago
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 20 min 36 sec ago
- Parenting How Every Parent Should Respond to Their Child Coming Out 35 min 16 sec ago
- Pride Will Lithuania Ban Pride Parades? 36 min 40 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Meet Orphan Black's New Clone! 37 min ago
- Women Who the F Is ... Dolly Wilde 59 min 32 sec ago