Top Newspaper Front Pages on Same-Sex Marriage
BY Lucas Grindley
December 08 2012 5:39 PM ET
The top 20 largest newspapers in the country had different ideas on the importance of the Supreme Court's decision to weigh in on marriage equality. As seen in these images from the Newseum's daily gallery of front pages, newspapers based in California, where the Proposition 8 case comes from, were more likely to give it heft. The San Francisco Chronicle stripped the story across the top of its page along with a photo. But some New York papers, where plaintiff Edith Windsor is from, didn't include the story. They weren't alone.
Of all of the publications, editors at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune gave the story the largest presentation. The issue has been in the minds of readers there who became the first in the nation to reject a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage in their state. And the governor has said he would sign a bill approving marriage equality if lawmakers decided to send it to him.
See 1A of all top 20 largest newspapers, according to September's circulation numbers, on the following pages. USA Today is missing because its weekend edition is not included by the Newseum gallery.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM