Top Newspaper Front Pages on Same-Sex Marriage
BY Lucas Grindley
December 08 2012 5:39 PM ET
The top 20 largest newspapers in the country had different ideas on the importance of the Supreme Court's decision to weigh in on marriage equality. As seen in these images from the Newseum's daily gallery of front pages, newspapers based in California, where the Proposition 8 case comes from, were more likely to give it heft. The San Francisco Chronicle stripped the story across the top of its page along with a photo. But some New York papers, where plaintiff Edith Windsor is from, didn't include the story. They weren't alone.
Of all of the publications, editors at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune gave the story the largest presentation. The issue has been in the minds of readers there who became the first in the nation to reject a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage in their state. And the governor has said he would sign a bill approving marriage equality if lawmakers decided to send it to him.
See 1A of all top 20 largest newspapers, according to September's circulation numbers, on the following pages. USA Today is missing because its weekend edition is not included by the Newseum gallery.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- WATCH: Transgender Woman Arrested for Exposing Breasts, Jailed With Men
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM