PHOTOS: It's Wedding Day in Washington
BY Julie Bolcer
December 09 2012 11:09 AM ET
After a successful fight for marriage equality in the legislature, and then a ballot campaign that upheld the law, same-sex couples in Washington began to marry Sunday.
The wedding day followed the usual, mandatory three-day waiting period after obtaining licenses. Then, Emily and Sarah Cofer were the first to wed, according to USA Today. Superior Court Judge Mary Yu married the couple, both third-grade teachers, in Seattle at 12:04 a.m. with their nine-month-old daughter Carter present. The judge and her staff members, who had volunteered to work overnight, had 12 weddings scheduled through 7:30 a.m. Sunday.
Hundreds of couples were expected to marry throughout the state on Sunday, some in private affairs and others in large public events. Around 140 couples were expected to marry at City Hall in Seattle. Then 25 same-sex partners at Seattle's First Baptist Church exchanged vows during a mass wedding.
Washington voters upheld the marriage equality law in a referendum last month. Voters in Maine and Maryland also passed laws, making all three among the first to uphold marriage equality in a popular vote. Couples in Maine will begin marrying on December 29 and weddings will start in Maryland on January 1.
On the following pages, see photos from the jubilant mass wedding in Seattle.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 20 min 12 sec ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 1 hour 20 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 2 hours 20 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 2 hours 21 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM