PHOTOS: It's Wedding Day in Washington
BY Julie Bolcer
December 09 2012 12:09 PM ET
After a successful fight for marriage equality in the legislature, and then a ballot campaign that upheld the law, same-sex couples in Washington began to marry Sunday.
The wedding day followed the usual, mandatory three-day waiting period after obtaining licenses. Then, Emily and Sarah Cofer were the first to wed, according to USA Today. Superior Court Judge Mary Yu married the couple, both third-grade teachers, in Seattle at 12:04 a.m. with their nine-month-old daughter Carter present. The judge and her staff members, who had volunteered to work overnight, had 12 weddings scheduled through 7:30 a.m. Sunday.
Hundreds of couples were expected to marry throughout the state on Sunday, some in private affairs and others in large public events. Around 140 couples were expected to marry at City Hall in Seattle. Then 25 same-sex partners at Seattle's First Baptist Church exchanged vows during a mass wedding.
Washington voters upheld the marriage equality law in a referendum last month. Voters in Maine and Maryland also passed laws, making all three among the first to uphold marriage equality in a popular vote. Couples in Maine will begin marrying on December 29 and weddings will start in Maryland on January 1.
On the following pages, see photos from the jubilant mass wedding in Seattle.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM