Supreme Court Gives No Word on Other Marriage Cases
BY Julie Bolcer
December 10 2012 10:42 AM ET
Following last Friday’s announcement that it would hear oral arguments in challenges to the Defense of Marriage Act and the California marriage ban, the Supreme Court announced no further action Monday in other cases presented for appeal.
An order list in the morning offered no indication whether the court had accepted or denied the other cases, including multiple challenges to DOMA and a case about benefits for same-sex domestic partners from Arizona. The cases are likely to be held until the court issues a decision in the other two, and then will be sent back to the lower courts to determine how to move forward, according to Prop 8 Trial Tracker.
The court said last week it would take up a challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act brought by Edie Windsor, an 83-year-old lesbian widow from New York. The nine justices will also hear arguments in the challenge to Prop. 8. A decision in that case could have sweeping implications for the right to marry in all states, or it may only apply narrowly to California.
A decision is expected by June in the DOMA and Prop. 8 cases.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 17 min 35 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM