Supreme Court Gives No Word on Other Marriage Cases
BY Julie Bolcer
December 10 2012 11:42 AM ET
Following last Friday’s announcement that it would hear oral arguments in challenges to the Defense of Marriage Act and the California marriage ban, the Supreme Court announced no further action Monday in other cases presented for appeal.
An order list in the morning offered no indication whether the court had accepted or denied the other cases, including multiple challenges to DOMA and a case about benefits for same-sex domestic partners from Arizona. The cases are likely to be held until the court issues a decision in the other two, and then will be sent back to the lower courts to determine how to move forward, according to Prop 8 Trial Tracker.
The court said last week it would take up a challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act brought by Edie Windsor, an 83-year-old lesbian widow from New York. The nine justices will also hear arguments in the challenge to Prop. 8. A decision in that case could have sweeping implications for the right to marry in all states, or it may only apply narrowly to California.
A decision is expected by June in the DOMA and Prop. 8 cases.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 36 min 24 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 40 min 9 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 1 hour 2 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 1 hour 5 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 2 hours 30 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 5:39 PM
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 5:22 PM