PHOTOS: Portland Couples Have One Word for Their Marriages
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 03 2013 12:55 PM ET
When same-sex couples getting married in Maine had to describe their partners in one word, their answers were touching not only for their sincerity but also for showing what's ordinary about LGBT relationships.
Last Friday, Sam Ferrigno of HooplaHa.com traveled to Portland to witness some of Maine’s first same-sex marriages. He approached 14 couples with sketch pads, asked them to first write down how long they’ve been together and then to describe each other with a single word.
Photos were snapped as the couples revealed their answers to their mates and the results were wonderful. Ferrigno collected his images and put them together in a photo essay, which appeared first on HooplaHa, a new site dedicated to spreading smiles and positivity. It is meant to inspire, inform, enlighten, engage and above all entertain.
See the photos on the following pages.
First photographed were Lucie Bauer (left) and Annie Kiermaier, who had been married in 2008 and came to City Hall to celebrate that their marriage is now recognized in their home state.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM