PHOTOS: Portland Couples Have One Word for Their Marriages
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 03 2013 11:55 AM ET
When same-sex couples getting married in Maine had to describe their partners in one word, their answers were touching not only for their sincerity but also for showing what's ordinary about LGBT relationships.
Last Friday, Sam Ferrigno of HooplaHa.com traveled to Portland to witness some of Maine’s first same-sex marriages. He approached 14 couples with sketch pads, asked them to first write down how long they’ve been together and then to describe each other with a single word.
Photos were snapped as the couples revealed their answers to their mates and the results were wonderful. Ferrigno collected his images and put them together in a photo essay, which appeared first on HooplaHa, a new site dedicated to spreading smiles and positivity. It is meant to inspire, inform, enlighten, engage and above all entertain.
See the photos on the following pages.
First photographed were Lucie Bauer (left) and Annie Kiermaier, who had been married in 2008 and came to City Hall to celebrate that their marriage is now recognized in their home state.
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 13 min 36 sec ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 1 hour 8 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 1 hour 40 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 1 hour 49 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 2 hours 5 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 2 hours 5 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 2 hours 47 min ago