WATCH: Jared Polis Decries Spending Taxpayer Dollars to Defend DOMA
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 04 2013 3:40 PM ET
Out gay father and Colorado Democrat Rep. Jared Polis had some harsh words on the first day of the 113th Congress for House Republicans who continue to spend taxpayer money protecting the so-called Defense of Marriage Act.
Thus far, the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group, created to defend DOMA in court after the Obama administration announced it would not do so back in 2011, has already cost taxpayers $1.7 million, and was approved for further spending on Thursday.
“House Republicans in this rule are seeking to authorize lawyer fees for a costly federal takeover of marriage that would single out legally married couples for discriminatory treatment under federal law," said Polis in his speech on the House floor. "At least when Democrats spend money, we build roads and bridges, educate kids, provide health care. This Republican spending goes right into the pocket of lawyers. Big-spending Republicans, on day one, spending millions of dollars of taxpayer money on a federal takeover of marriage and a lawyer stimulus — wrong foot to start off on.”
Watch the congressman's speech below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM