Colorado on the Road to Civil Unions With New Legislature
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 09 2013 6:37 PM ET
Two gay state senators in Colorado introduced a bill to establish civil unions this morning, on the first day of the 2013 legislative session.
Sen. Pat Steadman and Sen. Lucia Guzmán introduced Senate Bill 11, a near-copy of the civil unions legislation that died in a dramatic procedural showdown at the end of last year's session.
The bill is expected to pass the Democratic-controlled Senate, as it did last year, with bipartisan support. Colorado governor John Hickenlooper, a Democrat, is an outspoken supporter of civil unions and is expected to sign the bill.
Last year's legislation died when House Republicans, led by then-Speaker Frank McNulty, shut down the chamber in order to avoid a vote on the bill, which supporters said had enough support to pass the Republican-controlled House.
This year, however, the legislation is all but guaranteed to sail through both legislative chambers, with a bicameral Democratic majority, and gay Denver Democrat Mark Ferrandino as the newly minted speaker of the House.
Ferrandino, the first openly LGBT person to lead the state's House of Representatives, said the time is right for Colorado move toward full equality for LGBT citizens.
"We must acknowledge that all committed couples deserve equal protection under the law," Ferrandino told The Denver Post. "Forever end Colorado's 'hate state' nickname, and, with bipartisan cooperation, pass civil unions this year."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM