Colorado on the Road to Civil Unions With New Legislature
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 09 2013 5:37 PM ET
Two gay state senators in Colorado introduced a bill to establish civil unions this morning, on the first day of the 2013 legislative session.
Sen. Pat Steadman and Sen. Lucia Guzmán introduced Senate Bill 11, a near-copy of the civil unions legislation that died in a dramatic procedural showdown at the end of last year's session.
The bill is expected to pass the Democratic-controlled Senate, as it did last year, with bipartisan support. Colorado governor John Hickenlooper, a Democrat, is an outspoken supporter of civil unions and is expected to sign the bill.
Last year's legislation died when House Republicans, led by then-Speaker Frank McNulty, shut down the chamber in order to avoid a vote on the bill, which supporters said had enough support to pass the Republican-controlled House.
This year, however, the legislation is all but guaranteed to sail through both legislative chambers, with a bicameral Democratic majority, and gay Denver Democrat Mark Ferrandino as the newly minted speaker of the House.
Ferrandino, the first openly LGBT person to lead the state's House of Representatives, said the time is right for Colorado move toward full equality for LGBT citizens.
"We must acknowledge that all committed couples deserve equal protection under the law," Ferrandino told The Denver Post. "Forever end Colorado's 'hate state' nickname, and, with bipartisan cooperation, pass civil unions this year."
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 45 min 40 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 1 hour 46 min ago
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM