Cash Flow Drying Up for Antigay Prop. 8 Supporters
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 31 2013 6:27 PM ET
For the third year in a row, the antigay group defending California's Proposition 8 in court failed to raise more money than it spent, according to tax documents reviewed by Reuters.
ProtectMarriage.com, which stepped in to defend the voter-approved ban on marriage equality in court after California's governor refused to do so, showed a $2 million deficit in its legal fund at the end of 2011, reports Reuters. The organization says it has since recovered the shortfall, but an attorney for the group told Reuters that ProtectMarriage.com is still $70,000 short on its fundraising for Supreme Court costs.
In late March, the Supreme Court will hear arguments on the Prop. 8 case, known as Hollingsworth v. Perry. The defendant-intervenors, ProtectMarriage.com, hope to reconcile their funding shortfall before that date, and sent an email to supporters asking for increased donations.
"Unless the pace of donations starts to pick up right away, we could soon be forced over a financial cliff," said the email, sent earlier this month.
ProtectMarriage.com's financial woes are symptomatic of a larger decrease in funding for antigay groups, reports Reuters. In last November's elections, marriage equality opponents were "vastly outspent in four state ballot campaigns," and lost each of those contests, notes Reuters.
Read more here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 57 min 4 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 57 min 12 sec ago
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 2 hours 3 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 2 hours 38 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 11:56 AM