Jon Huntsman Backs Marriage Equality, Calls on GOP to Evolve
BY Lucas Grindley
February 21 2013 2:12 PM ET
A prominent conservative voice and former presidential candidate, Jon Huntsman, now backs marriage equality, he announced today in an editorial.
Headlined "Marriage Equality Is a Conservative Cause," the former Utah governor and failed Republican presidential candidate wrote in The American Conservative that "we need to take a hard look at what today’s conservatism stands for."
He called marriage equality "the right thing to do" and warned that Republicans will continue to lose national elections if the party doesn't evolve. "The American people will not hear us out if we stand against their friends, family, and individual liberty," he wrote.
"Marriage is not an issue that people rationalize through the abstract lens of the law; rather it is something understood emotionally through one’s own experience with family, neighbors, and friends," Huntsman wrote. "The party of Lincoln should stand with our best tradition of equality and support full civil marriage for all Americans."
Huntsman, a Mormon, was already known as one of the more moderate candidates on LGBT equality. He served as President Obama's ambassador to China, and that close tie helped keep his campaign for president from taking off. As Utah's governor, Hunstman supported civil unions and continued to back only that kind of recognition while a candidate for president.
"Civil unions, I believed, were a practical step that would bring all citizens more fully into the fabric of a state they already were—and always had been—a part of," he explained today. "That was four years ago. Today we have an opportunity to do more: conservatives should start to lead again and push their states to join the nine others that allow all their citizens to marry."
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film 6 min 25 sec ago
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 38 min 38 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 41 min 43 sec ago
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 56 min 42 sec ago
- Women The Incredibly True Adventures of 2 Lesbian Penguins in Love in Israel 1 hour 1 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Silencing a #SharedGirlHood on Social Media 3:20 PM
- Politics Putin's Top Priority: 'Equal Terms' for Olympic Athletes 3:15 PM