WATCH: Former Sen. Jim DeMint Wants You to March ror (Straight) Marriage
BY Sunnivie Brydum
March 19 2013 10:57 AM ET
Last December, South Carolina senator Jim DeMint stepped down from his congressional post to become president of the antigay Heritage Foundation. Today, we got a peek of what DeMint has been up to at the conservative think tank: conspiring with antigay allies like the National Organization for Marriage to try to convince Americans that marriage equality will destroy the nation.
As the Supreme Court prepares to hear two cases relating to marriage equality — one regarding the constitutionality of California's Proposition 8 and another challenging the so-called Defense of Marriage Act — the Heritage Foundation and NOM are organizing a March for Marriage in Washington, D.C. on March 26, when the court will hear the DOMA case.
In a video message released today, DeMint calls for support on "something vitally important to the health of our nation: marriage."
DeMint then enumerates why marriage needs such fervent protection. Apparently, it's because of all those babies born out of wedlock.
"Just look how the welfare state got bigger and bigger," says DeMint, "as the unwed childbearing rate skyrocketed from single digits in the 1960s to over 40% of all births today. So it's with good reason that 41 states affirm marriage as the union of a man and a woman."
What DeMint seems to miss is the plainly obvious point that since gay people can't marry in most states and can't accidentally impregnate one another, the increased rate of babies born out of wedlock cannot, realistically, have anything to do with same-sex couples. But DeMint is no stranger to extravagant claims, as he came under fire while in Congress for his repeated assertions that gay people and sexually active single women should not be allowed to be teachers.
Of course, pro-equality groups are also organizing a march on Washington, called the United for Marriage Rally, and scheduled for March 26 and 27, when the Supreme Court will consider DOMA and Prop. 8, respectively.
Watch DeMint below.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- The Daily Show's Gaywatch, Feat. Ian McKellen, Rick Santorum, and Cardinal Dolan
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Entertainment News Knockout Game: Don Lemon Manhandled By Black Belt Rabbi on CNN 30 min 17 sec ago
- Travel An American in Dublin: Exploring Gay Life Over the Rainbow 49 min 46 sec ago
- Parenting Israel Set to Grant Gay Men Adoption Tax Benefits 1 hour 1 min ago
- Sports Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team 1 hour 3 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Trans Game Designer Is Bringing Diversity to Digital Realm 7:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Creator of Red Equal Sign on Why It Mattered 6:05 AM
- Daily Dose You Think You’re Worried? 5:00 AM