LISTEN: Mat Staver Calls Sen. Rob Portman and Other Pro-Gay Republicans 'Cockroackes'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
March 29 2013 6:15 PM ET
Mat Staver, chairman of the antigay Liberty Counsel dean of the right-wing Liberty University School of Law, totally bugged out about Republicans who support LGBT equality, according to audio obtained by Right Wing Watch.
Responding to the change of heart by Ohio senator Rob Portman — who announced last week that in light of his son coming out as gay, he now supports marriage equality — the always incendiary Staver didn't mince words.
After reiterating a threat made by right-wing Republicans such as former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee and the Family Research Council's Tony Perkins, that Republican support for marriage equality will drive evangelicals from the party into their own third political group, Staver got down and dirty.
"It’s like going into a building at night and you flip on the lights and all of the sudden the cockroaches start running," Staver told Vic Eliason of Voice of Christian Youth America on conservative radio show Crosstalk Wednesday. "And I think this same-sex marriage issue has shown the cockroaches within the Republican Party, the RINOs: Republican in Name Only. That’s why we lost the 2008 election, that’s why we lost the 2012 election."
Staver lumped Republican stalwarts like Karl Rove and Reince Priebus in with Portman, calling them all "cockroaches" and declaring that marriage equality ultimately seeks "the abolition of gender."
Not one for brevity, Staver continued, "It's ultimately the abolition of any moral behavior with regards to human sexuality. The whole assault on marriage is really an attempt to obliterate not only morality, but Judeo-Christian morality, to obliterate marriage and to even obliterate the idea that there is even a God."
Listen to the wingnuts babble in the audio clip below, via Right Wing Watch.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM