French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 25 2013 3:02 PM ET
Frigide Barjot, a French comedian who became the "unconventional leader of the French movement against gay marriage," according to the U.K.'s Independent, has been subjected to threatening letters, emails and phone calls since the nation legalized marriage equality earlier this month.
But this time, Barjot says the threats are coming from fellow conservatives.
"I'm being bombarded," the right-wing satirist told the Independent. "Before the law on homosexual marriage was passed, the threats came from the gay militants on the far left. Now they are coming from the homophobes on the far right."
Antigay right-wing extremists have threatened the comic-turned-activist with violence at a demonstration she planned to host in Paris on Saturday, according to the Independent. Barjot, whose given name is Virginie Tellenne, has requested police protection, and is reportedly considering boycotting her own demonstration.
Authorities believe the threats are coming from a right-wing, racist, homophobic group called Printemps Francias, or French Spring, which rose to prominence during the country's contentious, often violent protests over marriage equality. The Independent reports that a right-wing author who shot himself inside the Notre Dame Cathedral on Tuesday in an apparent protest of marriage equality was closely associated with the antigay group.
Barjot contends that she's now being targeted by religious zealots and far-right extremists because her she believes it's possible to oppose marriage equality without being antigay.
"I entered this fight because I knew that, otherwise, the protests would be dominated by people like them: the far right and the Catholic extremists," Barjot told the Independent Friday. "I wanted to give a voice to the thousands of ordinary people, not all of them people of the right, who believe that gay marriage, in the way that it has been imposed in France, is an attack on the family and foundations on which our society is built."
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM