Momentum Grows as Deadline Approaches for Ill. Marriage Bill
BY Trudy Ring
May 29 2013 2:27 PM ET
As Illinois nears the deadline for a final vote on its marriage equality bill, more state lawmakers are declaring support for the legislation.
The latest to do so is state representative LaShawn Ford, whose district covers part of the west side of Chicago and the suburb of Oak Park.
“When you think about the moral issue, this is about advancing opportunity, the opportunity for all people to pursue life, liberty, and happiness,” he told the Oak Park Wednesday Journal in a Memorial Day interview. “As Democrats we are about opportunity, about including people, not excluding.”
He said he has great respect for Rep. Greg Harris, the bill’s chief sponsor, and for the LGBT rights movement generally. “What really turns me is how the gay and lesbian community has taken a page from the civil rights movement,” Ford said. “I respect the hard work, the tenacity, the fortitude, the organization of the gay community in pursuing this. This should remind the African-American community what hard work [on political issues] does. This will go down in history as an example of how to effect change in the world.”
The state Senate passed the marriage equality bill Valentine’s Day, but the measure has yet to come to a vote in the House. The legislative session ends Friday, and Harris says he will bring up the bill by then. Gov. Pat Quinn has promised to sign it.
Today the Chicago Tribune, the state’s largest newspaper, ran an editorial saying the “time has come” to pass the bill.
“It would affirm the bedrock values of traditional marriage,” the editorial reads in part. “It would reward committed relationships, promote stable families and safeguard the interests of children with same-sex parents. And it would keep government out of the intimate affairs of its citizens.” It goes on to list all the states that have made history by enacting marriage equality, concluding, “Illinois, your chapter is next.”
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- You Think You’re Worried?
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM