Who's Next? The Marriage Equality Waiting Room
BY Michelle Garcia
June 05 2013 1:41 PM ET
17. New Jersey, 6.75
Politically, New Jersey is similar to its big neighbor New York (before marriage, of course). In the grand scheme of things, the Garden State leans to the left, but that's despite its Republican governor, Chris Christie, a moderate who vetoed New Jersey's legislature-approved marriage bill last year. "I think our side still has a shot," Esseks says. "It might mean getting the freedom to marry through a legislative override [possible through January 2014], or potentially even with Governor Christie evolving on the issue while he's still in office."
Whether Christie is called to run for president in 2016 or is termed out of office may also affect how and when the state establishes legal marriage equality.
"If it doesn't happen before  I don't see why we wouldn't be able to get a marriage equality law passed with the next governor, because the legislature has already voted for the freedom to marry, and I don't see them going back on that," Esseks says. In either case, a Democratic governor would be expected to support marriage equality, while a Republican governor could express his support without losing a ton of political capital in a state like New Jersey.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 59 min 30 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 2 hours 39 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 2 hours 48 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM