PHOTOS: Bartha, Bass, and More at Lambda Legal's West Coast Liberty Awards
BY Daniel Reynolds
June 18 2013 7:00 AM ET
Last week, Lambda Legal hosted its West Coast Liberty Awards, an event honoring those who have made significant contributions toward the advancement of the organization’s vision of equality. Hosted by ’N Sync alumnus Lance Bass, the occasion honored actor Justin Bartha for his portrayal of a gay dad and husband in NBC’s The New Normal as well as NFL player Brendon Ayanbadejo for his outspoken support and advocacy of the LGBT community.
Celebrating the organization’s 40th anniversary, the ceremony was particularly momentous, as it occurred on the eve of a Supreme Court decision that could determine the fate of same-sex marriage in California and the nation. To mark the occasion, The Advocate spoke with many of the public figures in attendance, including Greg Louganis, Liz & Dick’s Grant Bowler, Scandal’s Dan Bucatinsky, True Blood’s Janina Gavankar, and more, who shared stories and insights into the public — and personal — fight for equality.
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Ala. Senate Passes Bill That Would End Marriage Licenses
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- REPORT: Bisexuals Face Biphobia at Doctor's Office, LGBT Groups
- Interception: Clemson Football Coach Withdraws From Antigay Fundraiser