Marriage Census: How Many of Us Can Marry Who We Love?
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 26 2013 2:34 PM ET
With today's landmark ruling from the Supreme Court effectively invalidating California's Proposition 8, more than 3.6 million LGBT Americans are now free to marry the person they love. In total, roughly 30% of the U.S. population now resides in a state that embraces marriage equality.
These calculations aren’t hard science, but are gleaned from U.S. Census population data in each state with marriage equality, compared with data from a 2012 Gallup poll conducted with the Williams Institute at the University of California, Los Angeles, which gauged the percentage of self-identified LGBT adults in each state.
When the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals formally lifts its order keeping Prop. 8 in place — a procedural action that California attorney general Kamala Harris urged the lower court to take sooner than its standard 25-day waiting period — gay and lesbian Californians can once again begin getting married. County clerks in Los Angeles and several other California counties indicated that their offices are ready to start issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples as soon as the lower court lifts the stay, but not until then.
In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court ruled that the proponents who brought Proposition 8 to the ballot did not have legal standing to appeal a federal district court's finding that Prop. 8 was unconstitutional. While the nation's highest court declined to rule on the merits of the case or make any decision regarding voter-approved bans on marriage equality in general, it did order the case back to the lower court, with instructions to dismiss the appeal. Because of this, out former federal judge Vaughn Walker's ruling that Prop. 8 violated the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution and reflected personal bias against gay and lesbian Californians stands as the definitive legal verdict in the case.
Find out more about the historic Supreme Court rulings here.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 24 min 32 sec ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 25 min 20 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM