Congressman to Introduce Antimarriage Constitutional Amendment
BY Trudy Ring
June 27 2013 12:44 PM ET
Conservative Republican congressman Tim Huelskamp is responding to the Supreme Court’s pro–marriage equality rulings by reviving an effort to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban same-sex marriage.
“This would trump the Supreme Court,” Huelskamp, a Tea Party favorite from Kansas, told The Huffington Post.
He said he plans to introduce the constitutional amendment, which if adopted would prevent any state from establishing marriage equality, this week. It would be similar to previous versions considered by Congress.
None of those previous versions has succeeded, however. To become law, a constitutional amendment needs to be approved by a two-thirds majority in both the House and Senate and then ratified by three quarters of the states. In 2006, the last time the House voted on the measure, it received 236 yes votes, short of the 290 needed to pass.
Of yesterday’s rulings on the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8, he said, “What did not happen is what the court and then the folks pushing for [DOMA repeal] hoped would happen: that it would end the debate. The debate is not over.”
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 2 hours 51 min ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM