WATCH: An Emotional Day for a Freshman Congressman
BY Trudy Ring
June 27 2013 6:05 PM ET
As LGBT members of Congress held a press conference yesterday on the Supreme Court’s pro–marriage equality rulings, it was a particularly emotional moment for freshman House member Sean Patrick Maloney of New York.
He noted that when he called Randy, his partner of 21 years, to discuss the decisions, “I really couldn’t get the words out. And I realized in that moment that it was the first time in 21 years, 20 of those spent raising our three amazing children, that I wasn’t talking to him as someone who was seen as ‘less than’ in the eyes of our own country’s laws.” With the rulings, “we’ve made more whole the promise of America,” he said.
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- Op-ed: It Doesn't Matter How Many Times Kim Davis Was Wed