WATCH: An Emotional Day for a Freshman Congressman
BY Trudy Ring
June 27 2013 6:05 PM ET
As LGBT members of Congress held a press conference yesterday on the Supreme Court’s pro–marriage equality rulings, it was a particularly emotional moment for freshman House member Sean Patrick Maloney of New York.
He noted that when he called Randy, his partner of 21 years, to discuss the decisions, “I really couldn’t get the words out. And I realized in that moment that it was the first time in 21 years, 20 of those spent raising our three amazing children, that I wasn’t talking to him as someone who was seen as ‘less than’ in the eyes of our own country’s laws.” With the rulings, “we’ve made more whole the promise of America,” he said.
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality