WATCH: An Emotional Day for a Freshman Congressman
BY Trudy Ring
June 27 2013 5:05 PM ET
As LGBT members of Congress held a press conference yesterday on the Supreme Court’s pro–marriage equality rulings, it was a particularly emotional moment for freshman House member Sean Patrick Maloney of New York.
He noted that when he called Randy, his partner of 21 years, to discuss the decisions, “I really couldn’t get the words out. And I realized in that moment that it was the first time in 21 years, 20 of those spent raising our three amazing children, that I wasn’t talking to him as someone who was seen as ‘less than’ in the eyes of our own country’s laws.” With the rulings, “we’ve made more whole the promise of America,” he said.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM