WATCH: An Emotional Day for a Freshman Congressman
BY Trudy Ring
June 27 2013 6:05 PM ET
As LGBT members of Congress held a press conference yesterday on the Supreme Court’s pro–marriage equality rulings, it was a particularly emotional moment for freshman House member Sean Patrick Maloney of New York.
He noted that when he called Randy, his partner of 21 years, to discuss the decisions, “I really couldn’t get the words out. And I realized in that moment that it was the first time in 21 years, 20 of those spent raising our three amazing children, that I wasn’t talking to him as someone who was seen as ‘less than’ in the eyes of our own country’s laws.” With the rulings, “we’ve made more whole the promise of America,” he said.
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- Op-ed: The Dire State of Louisiana LGBTs
- WATCH: You’ll Cry When You See What Happened During That Gay-Straight Prom Date
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Miss Fame: I've Yet to Leave My 'Beauty Mark'
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- Marriage Equality Could Worsen Bisexual Erasure