PHOTOS: First Same-Sex Marriage in Delaware Met With Cheers
BY Jase Peeples
July 01 2013 1:27 PM ET
State senator Karen Peterson and her partner, Vikki Bandy, made history by becoming the first same-sex couple to be legally married in Delaware earlier today, reports The News Journal of Wilmington.
When they were pronounced legally marred by the New Castle County Clerk of the Peace Ken Boulden, the room erupted with cheers and applause celebrating the happy couple’s union.
Though Peterson and Brandy may be newlyweds in the eyes of the law, Peterson says, “We’ve been married for 23 years.” That couple had a small commitment ceremony 23 years ago, exchanging the same wedding rings they did today.
Take a look at a few photos from the couple’s historic and happy moment below.
New Castle County Clerk of the Peace Ken Boulden leads Peterson and Bandy down the hall.
- World News Elton John's Weekend Concerts in Russia to Proceed 14 min 13 sec ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Leslie Jordan 'Go Bold' With Models to Crash Super Bowl 1 hour 31 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Parenting Q&A: Darren Spedale, Co-Parenting Pioneer, Talks About His Latest Venture December 05 2013 10:40 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM