Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! Watch Three Must-See Marriage Equality Debates
BY Sunnivie Brydum
July 01 2013 1:43 PM ET
Pro-equality attorneys and activists stormed the Sunday news shows this weekend in the wake of historic victories for marriage equality, laying the rhetorical smackdown on antigay pundits who contend that marriage equality is still not inevitable.
The Sunday news programs on all three major networks featured marriage equality panel discussions, and just like at the Supreme Court, equality supporters came out on top. Keep reading to find all the highlights you might have missed while out celebrating pride and our community's latest step toward equality.
ABC's This Week With George Stephanopoulos hosted Chad Griffin, the president of the Human Rights Campaign and founder of the American Foundation for Equal Rights, which brought the case that struck down Proposition 8, California's ban on same-sex marriage, alongside Brian Brown, president of the antigay National Organization for Marriage. Two of the most recognizable opponents in the fight over marriage equality didn't mince words when demeaning the other's efforts. Responding to Griffin's promises that marriage equality was a winning strategy — both in the courtroom and at the ballot box — Brown flatly denied that, contending that marriage equality actually harms straight people who oppose it.
Watch that exchange below.
Watch the next marriage equality showdown on the following page.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM