Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! Watch Three Must-See Marriage Equality Debates
BY Sunnivie Brydum
July 01 2013 1:43 PM ET
Pro-equality attorneys and activists stormed the Sunday news shows this weekend in the wake of historic victories for marriage equality, laying the rhetorical smackdown on antigay pundits who contend that marriage equality is still not inevitable.
The Sunday news programs on all three major networks featured marriage equality panel discussions, and just like at the Supreme Court, equality supporters came out on top. Keep reading to find all the highlights you might have missed while out celebrating pride and our community's latest step toward equality.
ABC's This Week With George Stephanopoulos hosted Chad Griffin, the president of the Human Rights Campaign and founder of the American Foundation for Equal Rights, which brought the case that struck down Proposition 8, California's ban on same-sex marriage, alongside Brian Brown, president of the antigay National Organization for Marriage. Two of the most recognizable opponents in the fight over marriage equality didn't mince words when demeaning the other's efforts. Responding to Griffin's promises that marriage equality was a winning strategy — both in the courtroom and at the ballot box — Brown flatly denied that, contending that marriage equality actually harms straight people who oppose it.
Watch that exchange below.
Watch the next marriage equality showdown on the following page.
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- From Jail, Kim Davis Still Refuses to Issue Marriage Licenses
- The Best (and Worst) Tweets About Kim Davis
- Op-ed: Kim Davis Deserves Criticism But Not for Her Looks
- Mike Huckabee Urges 'Free Kim Davis'; Others Call Her a Rosa Parks
- 'Old Redneck Hillbilly' Husband of Kim Davis Has a Warning for Nosey People