Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! Watch Three Must-See Marriage Equality Debates
BY Sunnivie Brydum
July 01 2013 12:43 PM ET
Pro-equality attorneys and activists stormed the Sunday news shows this weekend in the wake of historic victories for marriage equality, laying the rhetorical smackdown on antigay pundits who contend that marriage equality is still not inevitable.
The Sunday news programs on all three major networks featured marriage equality panel discussions, and just like at the Supreme Court, equality supporters came out on top. Keep reading to find all the highlights you might have missed while out celebrating pride and our community's latest step toward equality.
ABC's This Week With George Stephanopoulos hosted Chad Griffin, the president of the Human Rights Campaign and founder of the American Foundation for Equal Rights, which brought the case that struck down Proposition 8, California's ban on same-sex marriage, alongside Brian Brown, president of the antigay National Organization for Marriage. Two of the most recognizable opponents in the fight over marriage equality didn't mince words when demeaning the other's efforts. Responding to Griffin's promises that marriage equality was a winning strategy — both in the courtroom and at the ballot box — Brown flatly denied that, contending that marriage equality actually harms straight people who oppose it.
Watch that exchange below.
Watch the next marriage equality showdown on the following page.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM