Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! Watch Three Must-See Marriage Equality Debates
BY Sunnivie Brydum
July 01 2013 1:43 PM ET
On NBC's Meet the Press, out MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow squared off with former Republican senator Jim DeMint, who currently heads the antigay Heritage Foundation, as he was backed up by Ralph Reed, the former head of the Christian Coalition, who now heads the Faith and Freedom Coalition. Maddow, along with host David Gregory, did an impressive job of holding the right-wingers' feet to the fire as they played fast and loose with the facts.
Shutting down DeMint's facetious argument that one-man-one-woman marriage is best for children, Maddow called out the haters. "You guys for a generation have argued that public policy ought to demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist," said Maddow in one of several excellent takedowns. "But you don’t make any less of us exist, you are just arguing for more discrimination. And more discrimination doesn’t make straight people’s lives any better."
Watch the final, pro-equality rhetorical smackdown on the following page.
- Kim Davis vs. the Internet
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Meet the Trans Man and Pansexual Woman Married by Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis
- WATCH: Dan Savage on Kentucky Clerk's Religious Double Standards
- Op-ed: Kim Davis Deserves Criticism But Not for Her Looks