Judge Sets Date for Michigan Same-Sex Marriage Ban Trial
BY Jase Peeples
July 02 2013 2:41 PM ET
Lesbian couple Jayne Rowse and April DeBoer were told by a federal judge in Michigan in March that their lawsuit challenging the state’s voter-approved same-sex marriage ban would have to wait until the Supreme Court ruled on the constitutionality of the federal Defense of Marriage Act. However, now that SCOTUS has issued decisions on both DOMA and Proposition 8 that were in favor of same-sex marriage, that same judge has said the “plaintiffs are entitled to their day in court and they shall have it,” reports MLive.com.
Rowse and DeBoer, who live in the Detroit suburbs, filed their lawsuit based on their desire to jointly adopt their three children. They say the U.S. Constitution's equal protection clause should invalidate a ban on same-sex marriage that voters approved in 2004 and that prevents them from being recognized as a couple during adoption proceedings.
Judge Bernard Friedman cited the SCOTUS decision on DOMA as the reason the couple’s case had merit, saying, “Plaintiffs’ equal protection claim has sufficient merit to proceed. The United States Supreme Court’s recent decision in United States v. Windsor, No. 12-307 (U.S. Jun. 26, 2013), has provided the requisite precedential fodder for both parties to this litigation. Plaintiffs are prepared to claim Windsor as their own.”
Friedman plans to set a trial date at a conference scheduled for July 10.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- Current Issue Derek Jarman's Alternative to The New Gay Credo 39 min 4 sec ago
- Archives From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69 40 min 12 sec ago
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 2 hours 40 min ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM