WATCH: San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus Celebrates Prop. 8's Death With Lesbian Couple Who Killed It
BY Sunnivie Brydum
July 08 2013 3:05 PM ET
The San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus offered a special wedding gift to Kris Perry and Sandy Stier, the first legally married same-sex couple in the state after California's Proposition 8 was ruled unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court in the case bearing their names.
On the steps of the capitol rotunda June 28 in San Francisco's City Hall, just moments after California Attorney General Kamala Harris pronounced Perry and Stier "spouses for life," the S.F. GMC performed an a cappella rendition of "San Francisco," a song from a new oratorio called I Am Harvey Milk. The song and its source material were written by Tony- and Grammy-nominated writer Andrew Lippa, and premiered in the Bay Area the same week the Court issued its rulings, according to videographer Sean Chapin.
Watch the performance in the video below, interspersed with footage from the moment the Supreme Court decision was announced on June 26 inside San Francisco's City Hall, and joyful footage of equality allies like San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee and Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom celebrating this hard-fought victory.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 2 hours 54 min ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM