Poll: New Jersey Wants Marriage
BY Michelle Garcia
July 10 2013 3:18 PM ET
Sixty percent of New Jersey voters say they would support establishing legal marriage equality in The Garden State, according to a Quinnipiac poll released Wednesday.
Thirty-one percent of those polled said they did not support marriage equality becoming the law, with the remaining 9 percent having no opinion. Among Republicans, 39% would support a marriage law, while 69% of Democrats support the bill. An overwhelming 83% of those between the ages of 18-34 support the right to marry, while 63% of those ages 35-54 support it, and half of those over age 55 support marriage equality.
The amount of people supporting a marriage equality law is up eight percentage points since January 2012, but lower than it was in March of this year with 64% in support.
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie vetoed a marriage equality bill last year, saying that the issue should go to a public vote.
"I think this is not an issue that should rest solely in my hands, or the hands of the Senate President or the Speaker or the other 118 members of the Legislature," he said last year. "Let's let the people of New Jersey decide what is right for the state."
But local advocates and Democrats in the state legislature are now trying to conjure enough votes to override the veto. New Jersey and neighboring Pennsylvania are the remaining northeast states without legal marriage equality.
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Entertainment News Musto: Tom Daley & Maria Bello Are Bi, Get Used To It 29 min 32 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 7:00 AM
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM