The GOP's Public-Private Divide on Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
August 16 2013 3:28 PM ET
Politicians who publicly oppose marriage equality are sometimes happy to congratulate wedded gay couples in private — a phenomenon journalist Thomas Roberts has observed firsthand.
“Reince Priebus, when I got engaged, congratulated me at the White House correspondents weekend,” Roberts, who married his partner last year, said today on MSNBC’s Morning Joe, referring to the head of the Republican National Committee. Also, Sean Spicer, the RNC communications director, “congratulated me on getting married to my husband,” Roberts added. “It’s odd because then they’ll go out and drumbeat against marriage equality.”
Host Joe Scarborough, a former Republican congressman, called out party leaders as hypocrites. “Since 2006,” he said, “Republican leaders have said one thing in green rooms, another thing on TV, and another thing on talk radio.” He said top Republicans lack “the guts to stare down the crazies in their own party” and that Mitt Romney, last year’s GOP presidential nominee, “never had the guts to speak out against the most extreme elements in his party and he lost, in part because he followed extremists down a rabbit hole.” Scarborough said the party is also insensitive to racial minorities and sends a message that ”if you’re not white, you’re really not welcome in this party.”
Spicer issued a brief statement after the show, saying, “Believing marriage is between one man and one woman and being polite, courteous, and respectful are not mutually exclusive.”
Watch video from today’s program below.
- Media WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer' 18 min 32 sec ago
- Travel First Same-Sex Couple to Wed at Roman Baths 1 hour 1 min ago
- Politics S.C. House OKs Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula 1 hour 11 min ago
- Travel Brooklyn-Bound Girls Bus Tour Being Floated 1 hour 37 min ago
- Sports Jason Collins Will Remain With Brooklyn Nets 1 hour 44 min ago
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 1 hour 51 min ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 1 hour 56 min ago