Illinois: Former Republican Leader Joins Marriage Equality Fight
BY Michelle Garcia
August 28 2013 5:44 PM ET
Illinois's former Republican Party chairman Pat Brady, who was forced out of his position for supporting marriage equality, will begin working with the state chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union to lobby other Republicans to back a pending marriage bill.
Brady was chair of the party until earlier this year, when he urged fellow Republicans to support the bill. He and Matt Strawn, the former chairman of the Iowa Republican Party, started Next Generation Public Affairs, a firm that focuses on governmental affairs and public relations. According to the Chicago Tribune, the firm will start working with the ACLU in the fight to bring marriage equality to Illinois.
The Illinois ACLU's move is similar to that of the national ACLU, which is working with former Mitt Romney campaign adviser Steve Schmidt on a $10 million campaign to support marriage equality laws.
The Illinois House is the next hurdle for the marriage bill, since the Senate already passed the legislation earlier this year. Gov. Pat Quinn has previously articulated his support for marriage equality.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 7 min 17 sec ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 1 hour 17 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 2 hours 21 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 2 hours 35 min ago
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 2 hours 38 min ago
- Parenting How Every Parent Should Respond to A Child Coming Out 2 hours 53 min ago