N.M. Couples Rush to Sign Marriage Licenses
BY Michelle Garcia
August 28 2013 12:07 PM ET
At least 100 marriage licenses have been issued to same-sex couples across New Mexico following court orders in a handful of counties, declaring that marriage rights should be extended to these couples.
In Bernalillo County, which includes Albuquerque, Patricia Catlett and Karen Schmiege, partners of 25 years, were reportedly the first same-sex couple to receive a license.
"I’m very happy and proud to finally be issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples in Bernalillo County," County Clerk Maggie Toulouse Oliver said on Facebook, The New York Times reports. "Furthermore, I am beyond relieved to have some judicial guidance in this matter that immediately resolves the conflict that existed between state law and our state constitution. Marriage is a fundamental civil right that should be acknowledged and respected at all levels of government."
Later, a mass wedding in Albuquerque's Civic Plaza took place Tuesday while other couples applied for marriage licenses in the county's offices. Albuquerque has printed 1,000 gender-neutral licenses in anticipation of the influx of same-sex couples seeking to exchange vows, according to TV station KRQE (video below).
Now six of New Mexico's 33 counties — Santa Fe, Bernalillo, Taos, Valencia, San Miguel, and Doña Ana — will issue marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples. More than half of New Mexico residents — 56% — live in a county with marriage equality.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Third Time's a Charm for NYC Boylesque Fest
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 2 hours 5 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM