Federal Judge: Ohio Must Recognize Marriage of Gay Couple
BY Michelle Garcia
September 04 2013 11:23 AM ET
A federal judge ruled that the state of Ohio must recognize the out-of-state marriage of a gay couple, even though the state established a ban on marriage equality for same-sex couples in 2004.
David Michener of Cincinnati will be listed as the spouse of his husband William Herbert Ives on Ives' death certificate, Reuters reports. The couple of 18 years married in Delaware this summer, but Ives died unexpectedlyAugust 27. Together, they raised three children.
Black ruled that the local government officials cannot accept Ives's death certificate unless it states that he was legally married to Michener, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.
In his decision, U.S. District Judge Timothy Black said Ohio must recognize the marriage because the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Section 3 of the federal Defense of Marriage Act earlier this summer.
"The issue whether states can refuse to recognize out-of-state same-sex marriages is now surely headed to the fore," Black wrote in his decision Tuesday.
This is the second ruling this summer in which Black ruled that the state of Ohio must recognize the marriage of a gay couple. In July, Black ruled that James Obergefell could be listed as the spouse on his husband John Arthur's death certificate. The pair were married in Maryland this summer, as Arthur's struggle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, is expected to end his life early.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 min 2 sec ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 7 min 42 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 1 hour 8 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 1 hour 22 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 1 hour 43 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM