WATCH: Joe Biden Says Marriage Equality Is Civil Rights 'Issue of Our Day'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 16 2013 2:07 PM ET
Vice President Joe Biden doubled down on his support for marriage equality this weekend at a Democratic senator's event that some pundits say could be the first sign of a 2014 presidential bid.
Biden stopped by Sen. Tom Harkin's annual steak fry in Indianola, Iowa, a major Democratic political event that has become a national platform for presidential hopefuls, on Sunday. Biden noted the recent successes he and President Obama have had on a number of national issues.
“A lot of people criticized me for speaking out, not long ago, about gay marriage," said Biden. "I could not remain silent anymore. It's time we stopped talking. It’s the civil rights of our day. It’s the issue of our day," said the vice president, pausing for applause.
Biden went on to reference the president's support for comprehensive immigration reform for the 11 million undocumented immigrants currently in the U.S., then turned his attention back to LGBT issues.
"That's why the president eliminated [the Defense of Marriage Act], 'don't ask, don't tell,'" he continued. "That's why he came out against … this notion that somehow, marriage can be recognized in one state and denied in another. … Everybody in America should have the dignity to choose who they love and marry who they choose. He believes that, but not just because it's a human right, because it's all about treating everyone with dignity."
Watch Biden's comments below.
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 1 min 23 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 16 min 10 sec ago
- Travel Drag Race: NASCAR's Biggest Gay Fan on the Vegas Cup Race 18 min 20 sec ago
- Television Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2 25 min 24 sec ago
- Art WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old 38 min 51 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 10:28 AM
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 1 10:23 AM