WATCH: Joe Biden Says Marriage Equality Is Civil Rights 'Issue of Our Day'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 16 2013 1:07 PM ET
Vice President Joe Biden doubled down on his support for marriage equality this weekend at a Democratic senator's event that some pundits say could be the first sign of a 2014 presidential bid.
Biden stopped by Sen. Tom Harkin's annual steak fry in Indianola, Iowa, a major Democratic political event that has become a national platform for presidential hopefuls, on Sunday. Biden noted the recent successes he and President Obama have had on a number of national issues.
“A lot of people criticized me for speaking out, not long ago, about gay marriage," said Biden. "I could not remain silent anymore. It's time we stopped talking. It’s the civil rights of our day. It’s the issue of our day," said the vice president, pausing for applause.
Biden went on to reference the president's support for comprehensive immigration reform for the 11 million undocumented immigrants currently in the U.S., then turned his attention back to LGBT issues.
"That's why the president eliminated [the Defense of Marriage Act], 'don't ask, don't tell,'" he continued. "That's why he came out against … this notion that somehow, marriage can be recognized in one state and denied in another. … Everybody in America should have the dignity to choose who they love and marry who they choose. He believes that, but not just because it's a human right, because it's all about treating everyone with dignity."
Watch Biden's comments below.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM