Christie Would Oppose Marriage, Even If His Child Came Out
BY Michelle Garcia
October 16 2013 12:08 PM ET
New Jersey covernor Chris Christie said that he would welcome any child of his who came out as gay with open arms. But he also said he would tell his children “that Dad believes that marriage is between one man and one woman."
Christie talked about marriage equality and LGBT rights at the final gubernatorial debate with Democratic opponent Barbara Buono at Montclair State University Tuesday night, Politico reports.
“My children understand that there are going to be differences of opinion in our house and in houses all across this state and across this country,” Christie said at the debate.
Additionally, Christie said he would respect the voters' decision if New Jersey approved a ballot initiative to establish legal marriage equality. He maintains that the decision to allow marriages between same-sex couples in the Garden State should come from voters and not courts or the legislature.
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 40 min 51 sec ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM