Christie Would Oppose Marriage, Even If His Child Came Out
BY Michelle Garcia
October 16 2013 11:08 AM ET
New Jersey covernor Chris Christie said that he would welcome any child of his who came out as gay with open arms. But he also said he would tell his children “that Dad believes that marriage is between one man and one woman."
Christie talked about marriage equality and LGBT rights at the final gubernatorial debate with Democratic opponent Barbara Buono at Montclair State University Tuesday night, Politico reports.
“My children understand that there are going to be differences of opinion in our house and in houses all across this state and across this country,” Christie said at the debate.
Additionally, Christie said he would respect the voters' decision if New Jersey approved a ballot initiative to establish legal marriage equality. He maintains that the decision to allow marriages between same-sex couples in the Garden State should come from voters and not courts or the legislature.
- Television WATCH: The Super Trailer for RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 35 min 34 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Brazilian Couples Get Married En Masse 1 hour 44 min ago
- Entertainment News Musto: Tom Daley & Maria Bello Are Bi, Get Used To It 10:00 AM
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 7:00 AM
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM