Christie Would Oppose Marriage, Even If His Child Came Out
BY Michelle Garcia
October 16 2013 12:08 PM ET
New Jersey covernor Chris Christie said that he would welcome any child of his who came out as gay with open arms. But he also said he would tell his children “that Dad believes that marriage is between one man and one woman."
Christie talked about marriage equality and LGBT rights at the final gubernatorial debate with Democratic opponent Barbara Buono at Montclair State University Tuesday night, Politico reports.
“My children understand that there are going to be differences of opinion in our house and in houses all across this state and across this country,” Christie said at the debate.
Additionally, Christie said he would respect the voters' decision if New Jersey approved a ballot initiative to establish legal marriage equality. He maintains that the decision to allow marriages between same-sex couples in the Garden State should come from voters and not courts or the legislature.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis
- Travel WeHo's Most Notorious Nudie Motel Going Mainstream 12 min 18 sec ago
- Women 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 24 min 15 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain - How Two Women Fall In Love 38 min 10 sec ago
- Russia Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis 40 min 20 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: Ark. Yearbook Cuts Profile of Gay Student 1 hour 12 sec ago
- Women WATCH: PLL's Shay Mitchell - 'Sometimes I'd Rather Kiss Another Girl' 1 hour 22 min ago
- Politics Ore. AG Rules 'Religious Freedom' Bill Title Must Say 'Discrimination' 1 hour 37 min ago