Marriages Monday in New Jersey
BY Trudy Ring
October 18 2013 12:02 PM ET
And now there are 14 marriage equality states.
As of Monday, anyway. The New Jersey Supreme Court today declined to delay a lower court judge’s order that the state begin extending marriage rights to same-sex couples on that date, making Jersey the 14th state, plus the District of Columbia, with marriage equality.
However, those rights could be taken away — in January the high court will hear Gov. Chris Christie’s appeal of Superior Court Judge Mary Jacobson’s pro–marriage equality ruling.
Still, “the public interest does not favor a stay,” Chief Justice Stuart Rabner wrote in today’s unanimous decision, The Star-Ledger reports. “State officials shall therefore permit same-sex couples, who are otherwise eligible, to enter into civil marriage beginning on October 21, 2013.”
Earlier, Newark mayor and U.S. senator-elect Cory Booker and officials in other New Jersey cities said they were ready to wed same-sex couples beginning Monday.
Booker plans to start marrying gay and lesbian couples in Newark at 12:01 a.m. Monday, sources told BuzzFeed, and at least 10 couples are planning to take advantage of his offer. Booker retweeted the BuzzFeed article to his large Twitter following, CNN notes.
Jersey City mayor Steve Fulop said his city was ready to issue marriage licenses today in preparation for Monday, as did Asbury Park administrator Terence Reidy, according to The Star-Ledger.
Mercer County judge Jacobson ruled last month that in light of the U.S. Supreme Court’s June ruling striking down a key section of the federal Defense of Marriage Act, New Jersey could not deny equal marriage rights to same-sex couples, and she set Monday as the effective date. Christie’s administration filed an emergency appeal with the state Supreme Court, which it agreed to hear, with oral arguments set for January.
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 9 min 38 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 17 min 6 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 25 min 11 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 27 min 46 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 35 min 54 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 55 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 2 hours 31 sec ago