Lutheran Minister's 'Journey of Understanding' Led to Marriage Equality Support
BY Trudy Ring
October 29 2013 5:14 PM ET
A retired Lutheran minister discusses how his gay sons set him on a “journey of understanding” that made him a marriage equality supporter in a commentary for Portland newspaper The Oregonian.
Gilbert Rossing writes that when his oldest son came out as gay in March 1987, “My first, determined response was to counsel him both as father and pastor, and both academically and biblically, to turn back from this identity.” Rossing recognized that he was driving his son away, and after the minister “wrestled with Scripture passages,” he realized he had to obey the Bible’s “basic command to love our neighbor — my son — as we love ourselves,” he says.
“Through ensuing years I developed an understanding not only of my older son, but also my younger son, who is gay as well,” Rossing writes. “I was fortunate to become friends with dozens of devout, godly people who are gay, lesbian and transgender. I saw that we may seem different, but we all have a lot more in common.” Gays and lesbians, he says, wish to marry for the same reasons straight people do, and they suffer for not having their relationships legally recognized — he describes a lesbian friend of his who, after her partner’s death, experienced “callous indifference toward the loss of her life-long love from both the State and her partner’s family.”
He notes that he officiated the marriage of his younger son in Washington State and would like to do so for his older son in Oregon, and he calls on readers to support a petition to put a marriage equality ballot measure before the Oregon voters next year. Read the full piece here.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM