WATCH: Gay Illinois Rep. Proposes at Marriage Equality Celebration
BY Daniel Reynolds
November 06 2013 3:05 PM ET
A gay Illinois state representative celebrated the state’s passage of marriage equality in a fitting manner — by proposing to his longtime partner.
Rep. Sam Yingling popped the question to his partner Lowell Jaffe at the Governor’s Mansion, which was hosting an event to commemorate the Illinois House’s decision to pass the the marriage equality bill on Tuesday. The occasion was captured on video by Buzzfeed, which posted it on YouTube.
“I love that you care about other people more than yourself,” Yingling told Jaffe in front of jubilant friends, colleagues, and their sons. “I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”
The couple plans to wed after the law goes into effect June 1. Watch the proposal below.
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- #TBT: The Battle for the Bulge
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Josh Duggar Resigns From Antigay Family Research Council Amid Sexual Abuse Allegations
- New Orleans Mayor Counters Jindal's Order With One of Acceptance for All