WATCH: Gay Illinois Rep. Proposes at Marriage Equality Celebration
BY Daniel Reynolds
November 06 2013 3:05 PM ET
A gay Illinois state representative celebrated the state’s passage of marriage equality in a fitting manner — by proposing to his longtime partner.
Rep. Sam Yingling popped the question to his partner Lowell Jaffe at the Governor’s Mansion, which was hosting an event to commemorate the Illinois House’s decision to pass the the marriage equality bill on Tuesday. The occasion was captured on video by Buzzfeed, which posted it on YouTube.
“I love that you care about other people more than yourself,” Yingling told Jaffe in front of jubilant friends, colleagues, and their sons. “I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”
The couple plans to wed after the law goes into effect June 1. Watch the proposal below.
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Huge Ratings Are In for Bruce Jenner Interview
- WATCH: Kim Kardashian Says Family in Therapy, Totally Supportive
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times