WATCH: Gay Illinois Rep. Proposes at Marriage Equality Celebration
BY Daniel Reynolds
November 06 2013 2:05 PM ET
A gay Illinois state representative celebrated the state’s passage of marriage equality in a fitting manner — by proposing to his longtime partner.
Rep. Sam Yingling popped the question to his partner Lowell Jaffe at the Governor’s Mansion, which was hosting an event to commemorate the Illinois House’s decision to pass the the marriage equality bill on Tuesday. The occasion was captured on video by Buzzfeed, which posted it on YouTube.
“I love that you care about other people more than yourself,” Yingling told Jaffe in front of jubilant friends, colleagues, and their sons. “I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”
The couple plans to wed after the law goes into effect June 1. Watch the proposal below.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW 1 hour 19 min ago
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM